My collection of tales, recipes, and adventures as I create and eat various foods in my wide array (and often changing) of specific diets

Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Few Words About Tea

I love tea. I love it more than coffee sometimes (although coffee has an aroma that wins hands down).  Tea does much more for me.  It has less calories, doesn't always need sweeteners or added cream.  It makes my tummy feel better, helps me sleep, wakes me up, and unlike coffee it quenches thirst.

But lately I've been having a cup of black tea with some honey (organic wildflower honey from Bloomingfoods, hopefully will be investing in some raw for my drinks and what not and more organic for baking.  They have this giant container that you just spigot honey out of into your desired container it's awesome and much much cheaper!) and then later in the day will develop chest pains, especially when bending over.

Now I thought it was just indigestion from the Emergen-C I took the other day (the fizz does not agree with me I remembered why I stopped drinking it) but it came back the next day.  The only consistent thing I ate/drank/did was have tea and smoke 1 or 2 cigarettes.  So no more black tea in the morning.  I will try again after I commit to quitting smoking (which is tomorrow!) But for now, I will stick to green tea, maybe that will have a difference.  There are less tannin's in green tea and I don't react well to tannin's.

In other news I did a dairy run yesterday with what little money I had.  All in all this is what I bought
Oberweis ( a regional dairy servicing the Midwest portion of the US) whole fat milk, lifeway raspberry kefir, whole fat yogurt from a local farm that happens to cater to local grocery chains, natural peanut butter (the raw, organic stuff was out of my price range so I opted for the one that was just peanuts and a little salt), and cage free eggs (my choices were oraganic, or cage free and I know at least with cage free they aren't all stacked up on each other.  Once the farmers market is in full swing  I hopefully will have access to pastured eggs).

I got all that for.....$20!  I get a student discount plus an additional discount when I bring my own bags.  So I have some sources of protein and probiotics.  I plan on taking the yogurt and seperating it, and hopefully making more yogurt out of the milk, if I end up not being able to tolerate the milk.
I drank a glass last night and instantly got tummy gurgles and gas and then was in the bathroom.  But i'm not 100% sure that was from the milk because I have other things going on.  Plus I just started taking an papaya enzyme so that might have had an effect.  We shall see.  Meals of the past week soon to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment