My collection of tales, recipes, and adventures as I create and eat various foods in my wide array (and often changing) of specific diets

Friday, February 10, 2012

Adventures with Leftover Chicken

First attempt; When I used to babysit in NWI i babysat 2 boys.  The younger one in particular had a multitude of food allergies.  Those foods included

1. Eggs
2. Soy
3. Tree Nuts
4. Milk
5. Sensitivity to wheat.

so feeding him was a challenge.  we ate a lot of peanut butter and honey sandwiches (their mom was also from Portland so she was accustom to a certain level of food standards that Indiana does not supply) organic sausage and lunch meats, rice milk and chex, carrots and hummus or peanut butter.  One of my favorite dishes she would make for the kids was penny (the young boy called penne noodles penny noodles) noodles with broccoli and chicken.  So easy so fast, good source of protein and calcium.  So that was the adventure on Tuesday.


Second creation; Cream of chicken with spinach mushrooms and onions.
Now, I have troubles making cream soups.  More on that later.  I used the chicken stock I made, oh about a month ago.  It didn't occur to me that chicken stock would go bad.  So I smelt it, and it had no odor whatsoever.  My theory is the layer of fat that was on it helped keep bacteria out.  Needless to say it was delicious and full of collagen and wonderful trace minerals.  Anyway making cream soups.  I always curdle the milk.  This time I attempted to temper the milk with some of the hot broth.  That worked out perfect.  I was so proud of myself, until I accidentally let the soup boil.  So I had little curdles at the top.  I called it "soup cheese" and ate it anyway.  The soup on whole was delicious.  The spinach added color and texture and the homemade chicken stock added something that you just  can't get from anything else.



No comments:

Post a Comment