My collection of tales, recipes, and adventures as I create and eat various foods in my wide array (and often changing) of specific diets

Monday, February 13, 2012

Puffed Millet Apple Cinnamon Peanut Butter Bars

What the heck are those things? Part experiment part "use up stuff in the pantry" bars.
 I found a recipe online for gluten free granola bars.  Well, I don't have granola.  Or puffed rice.  But  I did have puffed millet and a few packs of apple cinnamon oatmeal that I wasn't going to eat (I don't like oatmeal for some reason, probably texture) and had bought some peanut butter even though I'm not a fan of it, but I need the protein right now since I'm very tight in the budget.
So what  I did was added 1/3 cup of creamy natural peanut butter, 1/4 cup sugar in the raw, 2 tbsp of coconut oil, 1/4 cup honey and molasses (I bought the molasses and never used it, and I didn't want to use all my honey so I found a reason for the molasses!)  Added all that together and let it melt just enough to be mixed together.  In a separate bowl, I mixed 2 cups of puffed millet and 1 cup of apple cinnamon oatmeal (2 packets) with flax

Incorporate the two, wet and dry, and usually you put it in a 8x8 pan or make enough for a 13x9 pan, which ever you have.  I do not own an 8x8 pan, and did not have enough ingredients to fill my 13x9 pan, so i just pushed it all to one side, compacted it all nice and then refrigerate it for 30 min at least.  Take em out, oh make sure to grease the pan for easy release.  Take em out and cut into bars, they might fall apart but you can eat all the yummy crumbs.  Freeze half, keep half in the fridge in an open bowel in the fridge for easy access! Great alternative to granola bars, homemade and all natural

No comments:

Post a Comment