My collection of tales, recipes, and adventures as I create and eat various foods in my wide array (and often changing) of specific diets

Friday, February 24, 2012

Busy Busy Busy

So I've been busy making lots of yummy foods and learning all I can about natural foods, Weston A Price, GAPS and lacto-fermenting foods.  
So I made something delicious out of leftover beans.  I made a whole crockpot of white beans and didn't really eat any for a few days.  So I had a lot of leftovers.  I looked online to see what I could make with what I had on hand, which is not a lot.  I made bean patties!  They were so yummy, crispy on the outside soft on the inside.  I made breadcrumbs out of gluten free bread and added some spices and an egg and fried them in coconut oil and butter ( I can't handle animal fat just yet).  Add some asparagus sauteed in brown butter and coconut oil and mmmm delicious dinner

Onto making yogurt for the first time!  I used the heating pad method that Hannah had suggested way back when (healthyfamilychronicles.blogspot.com) and heated it up, let it cool, added some starter (Traderspoint creamery whole milk yogurt, local and delicious)  and then set it up overnight on a heating pad with my fashionable hat and a dish cloth.  It didn't stay at temperature overnight, but did set up.


it was a little runny for my tastes ( I like thick Greek style yogurt) but it made delicious "cheese" when I strained it for the whey.  My second batch in the crockpot was much more successfull 

I also got raw almonds for $4.99 a pound!  Usually they are twice that much per pound so I was very happy.  I soaked them for 2 days and then dry roasted them for a few hours in the oven on warm.  It seemed to help much more when I set up the fan about 5 feet away and left the oven door cracked the entire time.  They are not the same as what I'm used to buying from the store but I like them.  Crispy crunchy and nutty.  I've got them in glass bottles in the fridge to keep them fresh.

Oh I almost forgot what this was.  I made sort of Indian beef with tumeric, cumin, and other spices and boiled stew meat in it for a few hours.  I then thickened it with cornstarch (I could have put some milk in it but  I didn't think about it)  It was like an indian flavored beef stroganoff.  With gluten free noodles it was pretty good!

A few days ago I had salmon with soaked quinoa and a big helping of red wine vinegar kale (my favorite!)  I fried the salmon in coconut oil and butter and it was fantastic

This was a recipe suggested by a friend who is a chef out in California.  Apparently there is an enzyme in ginger that makes milk kind of "seize" up and turn into custard!  So I juiced a chunk of ginger and mixed it in with milk and cinnamon/nutmeg and cooked it in the oven until jiggly (I could have probably cooked it a little longer) and then put it in the fridge to set.  I don't have custard ramekins so I used a muffin tin and liners.  They were kind of watery, but I combined them into a tupperware and mixed it together and its really good.  It almost takes like chocolate actually in a weird way.

No comments:

Post a Comment